New to Aerial Yoga
Trying out a new workout class for the first time is always a little intimidating, but when it involves hanging upside down and wrapping your body up like a burrito, the fear factor gets taken up a notch. Yet, aerial classes can be a welcome change from your regular high-impact, high-intensity workouts, and you can still expect the physical and mental perks. Here’s what to know before heading to your first class.
- Expect to laugh…a lot.
- It’s not just for acrobats.
- You don’t need to have a regular yoga practice to start.
- Absolute aerial beginners are welcome—we offer classes for all levels.
- You’ll start on the ground with plenty of time to get used to the fabric first.
- During class, the fabric pressing into you can be pretty uncomfortable at times.
- After class, you might be a little sore – similar to after a deep tissue massage (because that’s basically what you just got).
- The odds are in your favor that, if you follow your teacher’s instructions, you won’t fall out of the fabric.
- Don’t eat a meal in the 2 hours leading up to class.
- You’ll leave class feeling taller and lighter (who doesn’t want that, right?).
- Leave the jewelry at home— if you don’t, you’re risking injury if it gets caught in the fabric, and you can really damage the fabric too.
- At the point when you’re upside down, you’re really only about 3 inches off the ground.
- Motion sickness can occur in those who are prone to it.
- It’s recommended that you wear a shirt with sleeves to protect the skin around your armpits and don’t show up in shorts either— if the possibility of friction on sensitive body parts doesn’t scare you, then perhaps the high likelihood of indecent exposure might.
- You will learn to let go of fear; it will make you feel free.
- You will learn to trust in the support of the fabric.
- It’s therapeutic, relieving compression in your low back, opening your hips, and stretching your spine.
- You’ll find that, with the help of the fabric, stretches are deeper and juicier.
- You will find that you’re stronger then you think.
- The Aerial Savasana is seriously the best thing ever.
So aerial yoga is for everyone! Come in and give it a try!